I headed out for Muncho Lake this morning. I called ahead and got a room locked in for the night. It's another day of on and off rain. Here I'm stopping at the 200 km mark on the Alaska Highway.
This stretch of road gets deep into the mountains with 9 % grades. It's a lot of fun with no guardrails, fog, and rain. I was fortunate that when I reached Summit Lake it had stopped. The whole area surrounding Summit Lake is awesome. This in an area that you could come back to and set up a base camp and explore for a couple of weeks.
Summit Lake
Muncho Lake turned out to be a cool place. They run all kinds of wilderness tours there. I had the misfortune of arriving there the same time that Bobby Knight was arriving with his entourage. He walls himself off from everyone there and is not very social. I did meet some of the people in his party. They were auto dealership owners, hotel property owners, etc. Something smells an awful like a boosters outing with the coach. I didn't mind so much except that had reserved the lounge for their private party and I couldn't even go in and get a drink. I did enjoy the lake anyway.
This was interesting.....very creative.
I stayed at the only place there is to stay there, the Northern Rockies Lodge on Muncho Lake. It's a 14,000 sq. ft lodge. The weather wasn't very good so I didn't get many pics but here is a link to thier site if you want to see more of the area....
The people that own and run the lodge are Austrian I believe and they run a good kitchen. Dinner was fabulous.
Day 9 Fort St. John to Muncho Lake 412 miles
No comments:
Post a Comment