Thursday, July 14, 2011

Day 8


The Road Fairy thought my delays would be much less significant in the morning, so I headed out with a optimistic attitude.

On the way out of town I came across this. Not sure what it is? I wasn't either so I stopped and checked it out. As it turns out, this is the worlds largest tree crusher. Go fI wonder what it's like in action.igure, I didn't even know tree crushers existed much less seeing a piece of machinery this big.



I knew about the road. They said it was open. What they didn't say was that entire sections greater than 1 km had been completely washed off the mountain. The road had been completely closed for weeks! At best there was a 30 km stretch where the road was one lane and much of that had been crudely rebuild just to get something open . I sat there in line in a pouring rain for over two hours watching truck after truck hauling giant boulders past us. Once I got back in there it was quite amazing what was going on to rebuild teh road. Everything was gone. We rode on temporary trestle type structures builf out of railroad ties while the work building a foundation for the road continued around us. Too bad I couldn't pics of this but there was no stopping along here.


After about a 4 hour total delay I got through the damaged area and came across this waterfall. I don't even know the name of it, and there were hundreds in the area. It was just a good place to take a break.















I rode out of the rain just before I arrived in Dawson Creek, which is Mile Zero of the Alaska Highway. This felt great to get this far. I got some pic's and started my trek down the Alaska Highway, stopping for the night in Ft. St John.










Day 8 McKenzie to Fort St. John 234 long and soggy miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment