Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Day 6 July 12, 2011


Today I'm heading for Jasper. The plan is to take the Bow Country Parkway (the 1A) from Banff to Jasper. The scenery is a continuation of yesterday. Very awesome. Weather continues to be excellent as well. Temps are in the mid 60's with mixed clouds.








I haven't seen much wildlife today, but there are these enormous ravens around. I needed to post this as a reminder to Jenne that the really big crows at our feeder in the winter are just that, really big crows. These things are HUGE!










Fortunately for me, this road continues to be very spectacular, with nothing at all happening. Very quiet and enjoyable. Sorry for you, the reader, that I can't spice it up much. But, it's all about the ride and right now, the ride is great.










This is a section of the granite that as the sign says, is called the Weeping Wall. You have to see this one in person, it's very cool.














Moving down the road you come to the Columbia Ice Field. The glacier sweeps around the peaks and canyons, keeps disappearing then re-emerging. With all of the scenery it's getting a bit tough to keep the bike on the road! I keep stopping for pics, safer that shooting from the bike.







These are the Sunwapta Falls. There is a whole recreation area set up in this canyon with falls everywhere. I did about an hour hike to stretch out a bit. Yawn, this sure is relaxing.











This is Castle Mountain, there is a whole string of these that makes it look like a castle parapet. This is a good wildlife viewing area, although no such luck today.

When I arrived in Jasper I couldn't get a room and it weather was finally changing over to a light a rain. I was able to snag a room down in Valemount, about 40 miles away. I put the rain gear and headed over there without incident.











Day 6 Canmore to Valemount 283 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment